Distance: 3.2 miles approx
Time: 1 hour approx
Grid ref: SK135733
Terrain: This walk uses sections of the Monsal trail which are flat and easy to walk on. However to access the riverside path, there are several steep steps and some rocky sections of path next to the river. The path would be prone to flooding during periods of heavy rain, so best avoided at those times. This walk is not advisable in the winter time when there are chances of ice. There is one stile to negotiate. (Not a problem for dogs as they can go underneath).
Monsal Trail Code of Conduct: Dogs must be kept under close control and on short leads through the tunnels.
Description: This walk starts off from Millers Dale car park and follows the Monsal trail towards Buxton, before diverting down to Chee Dale via the riverside path to Blackwell Cottages and then returning along the Monsal Trail back to Millers Dale car park.
Toilets: Public toilets can be found at Millers Dale.
Refreshments: There is a refreshment stop at Blackwell Cottages at the Cycle hire centre (Seasonal opening times apply).
- From the Millers Dale car park, begin walking along the Monsal Trail towards Wye Dale. You will pass through three tunnels, Chee Tor, Chee Tor 2 and the last one being, Rusher Cutting.
- After the Rusher Cutting tunnel take the footpath on right hand side sign posted to Chee Dale. (At this point, you will have walked approx 1.8 Km). Walk down the steep steps to the river. Warning! Take great care when wet as the steps can be extremely slippery. Turn right onto the riverside path. Follow the path round the corner and climb over the stile (dogs have a convenient gap to walk under)!
- Carry on along the path (which is very rocky in places), through a gate, then continue along the rocky path until you reach stone steps and a bridge. Walk up the steps and continue walking along riverside. (Ignore the bridge).
- You will approach a stone stile, you can walk around this, using the path to the left. The path will then merge with a bridleway (The Pennine Bridleway). You should continue along the riverside path until you reach Blackwell cottages. Warning! There are often ducks outside Blackwell cottages, so please be a responsible dog owner and keep your dog on the lead at this point.
- Turn left over bridge, and you will arrive at the cycle hire centre, where there is a Tuck shop you may wish to use for refreshments. (Seasonal opening hours).
- Finally, climb back up onto the Monsal trail and follow the signs back towards Bakewell, arriving back at Millers Dale car park.